Saturday, November 28, 2009

The End of the World as We Knew It


I’ve seen two end of the world movies this year. One was KNOWING – you can see what I thought of it here. 2012 is the other one, and dang it if this wasn’t an awesome flick. The crazies are right, the government lies to everybody, rich white folks are evil, and the puppy makes it out alive.

There’s not a whole lot to say about 2012, except that it’s the best disaster movie ever (except for GIGLI, that was a huge disaster! Zing!). The special effects are incredible – possibly the best I’ve ever seen. The first of the disaster scenes includes Cusack drives a limo through the disintegrating city of Los Angeles. After that scene, it never stops. There is never a lull in the action. The movie is 158 minutes long, and 152 of them are action-packed. There is always a huge wave, or a crack in the earth, or a crashing airplane, or something else heading toward out heroes. They run a lot.

Also, John Cusack, Oliver Platt, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Danny Glover are all at the tops of their games. And let me take a minute to say something about Chiwetel Ejiofor. Ever since I saw that dude in SERENITY, I knew I liked him. Then I saw him in CHILDREN OF MEN and I liked him even more. He’s fantastic in this. And I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce his name.

I’m not gonna spend a lot of time on 2012, but it’s a great popcorn movie. I’m gonna dock it a star just because it’s a little long, but, for what it is, it’s pretty much a perfect movie. 2012 gets 4 Yellowstone volcanoes out of 5. Go see it. It was really expensive to make, and they need the cash.

3 comments:

the hamster said...

john barber's wife's husband -

i'm glad you hen-pecked a write-up on this one. upon first seeing the preview of this in theaters, i said to the wife that this looked like crap film worth every penny of admission. it looks huge! it looks silly! it looks like it lacks one good mega-shark or giant octopus to send it into cinematic obscurity!

and then here comes the barber saying - yes, it is all those things - but then it's actually kinda good. i'm intrigued. and you've only heightened every hope i had of catching this in the theaters before devoting my dollars to THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX.

myleswerntz said...

I love Cusack, but I can't see this one in good conscience, just like I won't watch MUST LOVE DOGS. Cusack should stick with the occasional action flick and more often, the melodramatic monologues.

John Barber said...

Dude, put your conscience aside (who needs that crappy old thing, anyway). It's rad.