Thursday, June 26, 2008

Beginnings

I have to confess that this blog wasn't my idea, but I like the idea none the less. In college, I looked to Mr. John Barber for many of my cues as to what movies I needed to see to supplement my transition into young adulthood. It was through Barber that I became acquainted with the miracles of John Hughes and countless others. Similarly, it was Kevin that convinced me that sometimes scary flicks are really worth watching and that Wes Anderson wasn't crazy. I've always been slightly behind the curve on the movie front, but given that I'm now the only one of this triad who's not married, maybe there's time yet to catch up.

Quick story: once I was watching a movie with John and Janna and Sam in the student center at OBU, following a large dinner of what I think were chicken wings with some crazy sauce on them. I don't remember what movie we were watching, because the chicken wings killed me halfway into the movie and I wound up throwing up in the bathroom during most of the flick. I think it was actually The Usual Suspects: I wouldn't find out for another six months how that thing actually ended.

So, here's to good exchanges, witty banter, and an excuse to watch movies that I wouldn't have any reason to otherwise.

6 comments:

the hamster said...

all i'm saying, fist, is that you do a series on john cusack films. it's funny that john barber screamed john hughes to you, because when people ask me what that myles guy is like i always include the details, "and he really loves him some eighties movies."

seriously, dudes, as the rho sigs would say, may the circle be unbroken.

Pass the Fist said...

college was my time to catch up on my childhood. seriously. when i was dishing out pledge duties, one of the best ones i came up with was for Bennett Weidemann to make me an 80s CD that had to have 'Love Bites' by Def Leppard on it. I don't know what happened to that CD, but it was great.

John Barber said...

Top five John Cusack movies:

5. High Fidelity
4. Grosse Pointe Blank
3. Better Off Dead
2. Say Anything
1. One Crazy Summer

And not a one directed by John Hughes. Weird.

Pass the Fist said...

poppycock. One Crazy Summer as the best? Gross Pointe Blank always gets the shaft, but I can't really put it any higher than third, I guess. You're right about HF: it's good, but it's only the 4th best.

I saw Bullets over Broadway this weekend for the first time, starring Cusack, and it was great. It may displace HF for fourth place, or maybe just sit in its lap.

Corey said...

sorry. maybe it's that john cusack represents a period of cinema when i was still under the fascist eye of southern baptistism and their -ists, but i've just never been a fan of mr. cusack's work. i was always more of a brat packer myself.

Corey said...

oh, and if anyone care's, here's my top five:

1) Apocalypse Now
2) The Godfather
3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4) Y Tu Mama Tambien
5) Annie Hall

(#5 took some deliberation, since i love "the graduate" so much.)